Monday, April 02, 2007

And so it begins...


Ahh Opening Day. What baseball fans look forward to all winter. Of course, our boys won today. But that's expected; they've won their last 9 home openers. Did I get to watch it though? No, of course not. I had to work. But wait! I have TiVo! I can come home at 4pm and pretend it's just now starting. Except for one little thing: I live with a Sox fan. And by some sort of strange "accident" my Tivo didn't tape the Yankee game, even though I set it to do so over a week ago. Instead, it taped the Sox game, which most definitely was not programmed in last week and just happened to overlap with the Yanks' game. Strange how those things work.
Anyway. This off-season has had its share of oh-my-god-Red-Sox-fans-are-ridiculous moments, but nothing worth blogging about. Until yesterday. My sister was up visiting from NYC, and we went to an ice skating show over at Harvard (don't ask). There was one part of the show where people were skating around in Red Sox uniforms. Suddenly, the Darth Vader music from Star Wars begins to play and who skates out? People in Yankees uniforms! The audience boos. My sister, who had never experienced the madness first hand, turns to me and says, "What the hell? Yankee fans would NEVER do that in New York!" Oh my darling sister, you have no idea.
I'll close out my opening day musings with a little story my father told me. He works as a bartender in CT and last week someone was complaining about the Sox spring training game not being on the TV. Finally, someone shouts out, "Aw, let him watch the game now. It'll make up for the fact that he won't be able to watch them in October."
Go Yankees.
EDIT: I always have had a lot of respect for the folks over at Boston Dirt Dogs--they are obsessive and ridiculous but they know and acknowledge it and I am ok with that. But I saw their 'headlines' today after the Sox *ahem* lost and just had to laugh at the last one:
"Sox Back in Third Place"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home